Friday, November 14, 2008

The Winds Of Change

Upon reading the title you must be thinking that this entry will be about the change that has come on the political scenario, but this time i am talking about the weather change that is coming in Karachi. I remember that when i was a kid by the month of November, we used to have a very low minimum temperature, around 10C to 15C with the maximum temperature mostly around 22C to 22C. It used to be a very happy time for us kids, because me and most of my friends loved wearing cardigans, and sleeping in the blankets. My mom used to make "Halwas" and lots of street hawkers selling different nuts and stuff like "Gajak", "Til ke Ladoo" etc. Soups were normal in everyday's menu as was fish which my dad used to bring from the market. The owner of the fish shop was a obese guy and that was why the shop was known as "Pehalwan's (wrestler's) shop". But apart from being obese, he was a very honest person and only used to bring the freshest fish from the market, there were so many varieties like Rohu, Thaila, Paplet etc. Then another place that i remember was the sweetmeat shop from where we used to bring Halwa Puri on Sundays, i have never ever eaten such tender and crisp puris. Oh yes! how can i forget coffee, that was also a very regular item. I am damn sure that in those year, the winters lasted a full 3 months atleast. I have always loved the winters, they bring a sort of very gloomy weather with them, people talk less in winters giving you more and more time to think for yourself. I have since my childhood preferred sitting alone because it offers a great opportunity to do a self analysis of yourself. I used to sleep a lot at my Granny's house where my elder uncle Tahir and i used to play cricket. He was a very hard hitter and when it was his turn to bat, i just used to hide behind the mango tree after bowling the ball cause he used to hit it so hard ! My Mamoo (mother's brother) was a very loving person ( I am sure he still is ) and had a great influence in my English. He used to read me articles from Newsweek and Times and also recommend me good books to read. It was he who took me for the first time for my eyesight check, i was in class 5th then, what a sight it was when i got my first pair of glasses, everything seemed so clear and crisp. He got me my first digital watch and my first autowind camera. Anyhow, this year November has come to its mid but still there is no sign of winters. It is all because of us, we have disturbed the delicate balance of nature so badly that rainfall, snow, winters, springs all have lost their taste and timings. May God have mercy on us. Sphere: Related Content

No comments: